Thursday, September 6, 2012

Tic Toc - 9/5/12


Thanks for attending everyone. 11 people this time around, with no gutter snipes, street urchins or other unattended minors.
We have 10 completed survey's, so I'm calling this one closed. Preview for you all...Tic Toc was good, but not in contention for "the leader". 


Tic Toc

The Tic Toc, 45 years and counting


Ah the TicToc. It's a bit of a rare thing in the area...a stand alone bar...no apartments overhead, not next door to anything else, not included as part of a strip mall. Located in the heart of what could be the most blue collar area of Cedar Rapids, the Tic Toc is old school, and it works! 


The Burger

It is with a heavy heart that I must recuse myself from the pure Burger judging this week, and demote myself to the honorable, yet far less influential "Bar Sammich" category. I thought I could enjoy a fried egg and bacon on my burger (the 'Bulova', if you have the means, I recommend you try one) and still judge impartially, but I was wrong. 

The Bulova - There's a fried egg and bacon under there. The photographer called in sick, I did my best.  
I was the lone Bar Sammich judge, and after working past the amazing flavors of fried egg, bacon, and beef, I realized that the burger itself was just OK, and I gave it a 6/10

Most of our group chose to go with either the Tic OR the Toc Burger, which are far more traditional offerings that meet all the rules of the Burger Tour. The Toc was offered with cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, and mayo. Nine people evaluated their burger, and they gave an overall score of 6.33/10

The Toc (or Tic, unsure really!) Burger, wasn't mine so I didn't want to presume to lift the bun. You're welcome. 


Comments this week included: 
  • Toc Burger, bacon cheese burger, only ketchup. The bacon made the burger. Freshly made, not burnt or processed.
  • The burger was a little dry and almost tasted as if it was a frozen patty, but lucky for me I like my burger dry and well done. 
  • Tic Burger, basic burger with horseradish mustard, no cheese. The mustard was good.

Fries

Not all is well in Tic Toc-ville. The fries this week were....underwhelming. Bland, flavorless, and in some cases underdone. Fries were given a score of 4.70/10, our lowest to date. 

Comments included:
  • The fries were undercooked and not seasoned. It is rare that I would only have two fries, but today that was the case, unfortunately.
  • Pretty boring, tomatoes were severely underripe, lettuce was iceberg. Editor's Note: I didn't ask about the tomatoes or the lettuce, but thank you for sharing that, Kari D. 
  • Had fries, good portion size and crinkle cut. Both positives. I would have like them a little crisper but all around still good.
  • My order was late. fries were extremely under done.
  • Sweet potato fries, would like to have been offered a dipping condiment other than ketchup. Otherwise they we crispy and good!
  • Fries. Plain, no real flavor to them.
Service & Decor

Our server was entertaining, but failed to impress. Drink orders were taken, then he disappeared for awhile, only to show up later for some more drink orders, and took a couple of food orders. Was very inconsistent. Additionally, the soda that was served was very flat, and he was slow with the refills. The decor at the Tic Toc is unique...tons of various bits and pieces of historical crap hanging on the walls and otherwise displayed. There's a collection of clocks scattered around the place, but you have to look to see them. Otherwise, the decor is a collection of various antiques and other "collectibles".  Service at the TicToc received a 5.80/10. 

And how's everything tasting Sarah? Oh this? This is just my murderin' loaf. Try not to squirm now!

Ugh. Do the French do anything that doesn't suck? 


Comments:

  • A snarky fellow with an acute cense of hearing.
  • I liked the sassy waiter.
  • Liked that it wasn't too complicated to all sit at one table. Also the waiter had a sense of humor.
  • For being by himself, he did well, but it did take awhile.
  • The watier was full of crap so he fit our group very well
Conclusion

And finally, we come to the recommendation portion of this week's entry! Would you eat here, or recommend it to others? This week, we awarded Tic Toc a 3.80/5, our 2nd lowest score thus far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment