Friday, October 5, 2012

Mulligan's - October 4, 2012

Welcome back everyone. I have news, BIG news about the Burger Tour! Are you ready? I know I am...so, without further ado, allow me to announce that we are now on Twitter! Feel free to follow us at @CRBurgerTour, or just click the button below.



In all fairness, I really have no idea how "the Twitter" works, but we're going to try it anyway, and figure it out as we go.


Mulligan's

Mulligan's is located on Old Marion Road in a newer strip mall development. The building was once the Fajita Factory, but that line of business has been gone from this location for several years. They are now a decent sports bar, with a decent selection of beer on tap, an pretty good 2-fer-1 deal at Happy Hour, and a full bar. They also offer a full kitchen and daily lunch specials. The food at Mulligan's is usually pretty good, and well reviewed. The burgers however, the point of this exercise, are sadly not in the same league. 

We had 14 or 15 people show up, but not everyone ordered food. I have 11 surveys completed (9 for burgers, 2 for bar sammich's), but one of those will be thrown out as it was submitted by someone who did not order food. His comments will be included, but his score will not be part of the overall evaluation. 



The Burger

My burger was what is fast becoming my "standard" as we do this, a 1/2 lb. burger, pepperjack cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion. Save the ketchup for the fries. 

"The Standard", as presented. It LOOKS good enough....


I arrived after work, ordered a drink, chatted for a bit, and ordered my burger (and maybe a 2nd drink). At long last, my burger arrived (OK, it wasn't that long!). I piled on the toppings as I am wont to do, balanced the top half of the bun precariously atop the beef, cheese, and vegetable pile that I had created, mashed it all down into a size and shape that might begin to fit into my misshapen maw, and bit into my first bite of a Mulligan's burger. The taste was....meh. While it was definitely not BAD, it was at the same time not GOOD. The cheese and toppings were fine, but the burger itself just had no pizzazz, no beefy goodness, no flavor. It merely existed to keep the two halves of the bun from touching one another. 

I believe others agreed with me as well. After removing the single score mentioned above, the average rating on burgers came in at 6.0/10. 

Burger w. swiss
Comments this week included: 
  • Plain burger with pepperjack cheese. Nothing special, but not horrible either. I'd call it "just another burger". The burger was juicy and the bottom bun was soggy with the juices by the time I was done.
  • I had the classic burger with swiss cheese and ranch (left off the rabbit food). It was a solid patty, came out very hot and juicy, which I was not expecting.
  • Bacon, cheddar, ketchup and mustard. The bacon was shear and the cheddar must have been left on the grill. Though the beef itself was hot, there wasn't much in the way of flavor. (I think this Burger Tour may be turning me into a burger snob :)
  • Greasy and juicy burger. Good size. Buttery toasted bread. Everyone seemed to have everything from well done to rare but it was never asked how you wanted it cooked. Seemed very inconsistent.
  • When I showed up, others at the table had already ordered. Based on the presence of their burger. I decided I could go home a grill a better looking burger.

An honorable mention goes out this week to Kristian, who ordered the Big Bertha, a one pound patty of beef with cheese. He attacked this monster like he knew what he was doing, and demolished it in short order. 

Big Bertha!

Ain't no thang. What else you got? 
  • I had me a Big Bertha. The burger was very juicy, almost too juicy as it soon soaked the bun. They never asked how I wanted it done, but it came about medium well, which is what I would have ordered anyway. The flavor was good, very beefy but not gamey, with a touch of the "char" taste from the edges.
Bar Sammich's (both of them) rated a 6.5/10. Comments included:
  • I had a turkey reuben on rye with thousand island dressing and lots of ummy saurkraut!
    • Editor's note: The above should read "Yummy Sauerkraut", but I left the original comment in place because sauerkraut is gross, nasty stuff. 
  • Patty melt - standard toppings were onions, cheese, and mushrooms. I didn't really dislike it, it just wasn't a very inspiring sandwich.
Fries

Sides this week were mostly fries, with at least one order each of cole slaw and cottage cheese (blech!). Sides were given a 6.67/10, with 9 responses. 

Comments included:
  • I had some of the best cole slaw,, can't beat KFC's though...
  • I had the fries, which were hot, crispy, and had a seasoned batter! They were very tasty!
  • Average bar fries. Almost reminded me of Long John Silver fries
  • Awesome fries, cooked/seasoned just right
  • Had cottage cheese. Again, good and average.
Service

We had two servers today who were very competent and efficient, but not especially friendly. I can forgive this, as there were many people there (our group and others), and they had a LOT to deal with. They were both real good about taking orders as they came, and, as far as I know, got them right. Service was given a 7/10.
Comments:

  • Very attentive and came back to the table often. Food came out quick and beer was cold.
  • Clean, good service. Good location
  • Always around even though they were pretty busy, never felt like I had to wait long for anything
  • Average. The burger was not on my bill when the server brought it. Had to ask to be charged for what i ordered.
  • I always enjoy the enviroment. A burger isnt the signature dish apparently. The service was really good staff was attentive. No one asked for a refill we just got them. Might have been the best or comprabable to the best on the tour.
Decor

Nothing to write home about here, standard sports bar. Not a complaint, if you want to watch 30+ games, this would be a good place to go.  


Anonymous patrons enjoying an afternoon libation. 

Another view of the decor, with a few Tour participants as well. 

    Conclusion

    And finally, we come to the recommendation portion of this week's entry! Would you eat here, or recommend it to others? Mulligan's was given a score of 3.64/5.


    Final Comments:

    • All in all, nothing special, but not bad. There's probably a bar sammich that will be better than the burger.
    • There is not much special about the place although the patio in the summer is nice! Price with beerz was very reasonable!
    • I felt it was over priced. It was expensive for 3 people.
    • Mulligan's was fine. Middle of the road, neither incredibly good nor awful.
    • The atmosphere was fine the actual company i'd have to reconsider :)
      • Editor's Note: ಠ_ಠ

    No comments:

    Post a Comment